Why driving into Manhattan is crazy and mass transit is the ONLY practical option:
- Of BART’s 370K trips per day, roughly 200,000 end in San Francisco
- So, conservatively, 100,000 of those are probably commuters coming from the East Bay
- The Bay Bridge handles 270K cars per day, of which, at least 60K are inbound to SF in the morning
- So, at 1.2 commuters per car, the Bay Bridge would have to handle almost 85K more cars during the morning rush
- In other words, we would need to increase the number of inbound lanes from 5 to 12 just to handle BART commuters–or…we could just build a second bridge
Mass transit everywhere isn’t just AN alternative. It’s the ONLY alternative.